• Menu

    Sunday, November 21, 2010



    Food: An essential part of life, a never ending job, a source of frustration or grand joy? I must admit my reaction to food swings as a pendulum. As head chef for a monstrously hungry family, I often feel burnt out in the area of supplying my family with nutrition. But then I walk the isles of my mother’s garden and wonder in amazement at the miracle of food. I am always looking for ways to add inspiration into the area of our eating. Serving vibrant foods, setting the table beautifully, enjoy meals by candlelight, eating un-rushed, connecting as a family around the table all bring a deeper purpose into feeding my family.

    I have spent the majority of my life researching food and nutrition. The one and only solid food theory I have excepted as truth is that God has created an abundance of tantalising foods for us to enjoy, fuel our bodies, and create peace and harmony between every function of our intricate bodies. I believe the closer you can get your ingredients to their natural growing environment (organic, grown in your region, non-genetically modified) the healthier and more nutritious your food will be. I strive to live beyond the limitations of diets, rules or fears of food. But rather live a life of praise for the beautiful foods God has created for us. Balance is key, chocolate, coffee, wine, sugars (honey, agave, maple syrup, and coconut) grains, fats and meats all have incredible health benefits if consumed in small balanced portions.

    When I bow my head before a meal, I desire for the foods on my plate to honestly lift my heart in awe and thanksgiving for the incredible goodness of God. If you ever sit with a meal before you and the food you are about to fuel your body with is undesirable, uninspiring, void of colour and your heart does not leap with the thought of God’s goodness, Chuck that food out! There are so many beautiful, healthy and SPECTACULAR foods for your body to be eating! Food that has been created as a gift for you from a ever caring and loving God.

    One of the main conversations that come up with other mothers is the topic of food. How to get well balanced, healthy and enjoyable foods on the table is a constant need. Often frustrating and never ending. I hope this week I can share a few of my staples. And in return please share yours with me. I was hoping that we could wrap up the week with a few of your family meals. If you have a moment, please send me your (healthy and vibrant) recipes (pictures would be a lovely addition).

    Please come and join me in my kitchen…



    Just a few little tidbits.

    I will be adding the recipes.

    If a word is highlighted it means I have linked it to a nutritional outline for that food.

    For me the worst part of cooking is the dishes! If I can I try reducing the dishes by preparing larger quantities and storing the foods. Such as garlic and chicken in the above pictures.

    We use a lot of Garlic…I mean a lot! I always make a week or twos worth by chopping the cloves in a food processor. I then store it in a container in the fridge. Easy!

    Another way to reduce dishes is by marinading a bunch of chicken at once. Cook it, chop it into different sizes(small cubes for pizza, thin sliced for sandwiches and sides, and just about anything else) I then bag them into meal sizes and freeze, ready to use when ever needed. This is also a great way to save on the expenses of buying meat, if a good sale comes up on chicken breasts buy a ton, marinade, cook, chop and store! My favorite marinade is

    Honey Garlic Marinade

    1/2 cup apple cidar vinegar
    4 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp soya sauce
    8 cloves garlic

    Marinade for 12-24 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

    Bon appetit

    Rosaleen